Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: feels like i'm swallowing my tongue  (Read 15252 times)

Offline itsjustme

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
feels like i'm swallowing my tongue
« on: January 07, 2008, 02:06:52 AM »
do any of you ever get the feeling like your tongue is really big or bunched up towards the back of your throat & making you feel like you can't swallow or breathe as well? I hate it.... I've been having this feeling off and on for a few weeks now.

Trying not to google!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissWhat_If

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: feels like i'm swallowing my tongue
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »
Oh my gosh, yes.  This happened to me a year ago.  It's the craziest darn feeling in the world.  I had all sorts of crazy tests done and was finally diagnosed with anxiety.  My biggest complaint was that it made me feel like I was talking funny.  But everyone kept telling me I was talking just as I always did. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious kel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 04:41:05 AM »
When i first had panic attacks at 14, this was my biggest fear and just the thought of it made me really panic and then actually feel like I was choking on it. It was a terrible thing to go trough, so I understand how scared you must be. When I went to my counsellor and explained how I felt like I was choking on it, she reasurred me that it was the anxiety and after a while I got over it, although it didn't just happen overnight.

I have to admit though that  when Im feeling really anxious, the feeling sometimes comes back , only temporarily. But I can cope with it alot better now, because of the counselling and also just through having it for so long. It will be something you will get over in time, it may occur again, but the best thing to do is try and find ways to cope and tell yourself it is only happening because of the anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hopeful Nut

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »
This is actually VERY common during a panic attack. Feeling like you have a dry mouth/swollen tongue/can't breathe/can't swallow, etc. It happens to almost all of us during moments of panic or high anxiety.

The thing to remember is .. YOU'RE OK. Your brain is firing wacky signals that you're NOT ok, but YOU have to fight back. Get away to a quiet place (bathroom, closet, backyard, anywhere!) and close your eyes and FORCE yourself to breath slowly in and out. Count slowly to ten (or as high as you can) with each inhale, and then exhale slowly. This takes more control and concentration than you might think, cause your panic will make your body want to pant and breathe quickly. It helps me if I breathe with my mouth open, because that also reaffirms that I CAN breathe just fine, nothing's choking me, etc. I also say out loud, something like "I'm ok, there's nothing wrong" over and over until I calm down. Words are very powerful, just like thoughts.

Good luck!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: